Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I am going to start cooking. There, I said it.

I'm having to hold myself back from the sudden burst of activity that I feel is going to overwhelm me. I think the nesting bug hath bit! Instead of cleaning, though, I want to buy out the craft store and create things. I want to spray paint every random piece of junk taking up space in my basement; I suddenly want to spring out the cash for a sewing machine and go to town. Realistically, though, I can't be thinking about all of these things when I'm a month away from my due date. While it would be nice to start a new hobby, I feel sad when I think of it going to waste once baby makes an appearance. So, as much as I hate the thought of it, I think I'm going to try cooking as a hobby (again).


I'm not much of a cook. In fact, I hate it. I love to eat and I love the smell of food and the idea of keeping a pantry stocked and fresh fruits and veggies on hand, but I am the worst about keeping myself interested or on a schedule or even remotely organized about the food I prepare. I stress myself out when I make a mess in the kitchen, so ingredients sit dormant while I stop cooking for a week or two at a time... and yeah, I'm pathetic. I waste so much money at the grocery store. I'm a little too ambitious when I go shopping. My potatoes bloom in my pantry. I want to get better!

Let me clarify, though. I am not a bad cook. When I set my mind to making something, it usually turns out well. If not well, edible. It's not that I burn everything I touch or undercook meat or completely ruin things. It's just that I don't stay on top of it. My problem is probably treating cooking like a hobby instead of a necessity. I get bored with my many hobbies. I transfer them to the backburner and forget about them for months. Brandon asked me the other day about the cricut machine that I was just dying to have last year. It's a year old, and I've used it all of two times. Embarrassing. I hate to say that I'm hanging on to it for when I get bit by the bug again, but the sad thing is, I probably won't...and it'll go down in value and be in a yard sale in ten years. And there will be so many updated, wonderful models of the cricut by that point that I will maybe get a dollar for it. Or,the entire thing will be completely obsolete and just an expensive trend of the past.

So, last night, after Brandon underbaked the baked sweet potatoes and I slyly moved the food around my plate in an attempt to pretend it was delish, he asked if I would start cooking again. . . and I felt sorry for him/wanted to make him the best dinner ever. He was raised by a woman who loves to cook and approaches her meals like fine art, and then he married me, the girl who is way more than content to sit back and let her microwave amd Stouffers do the work. If I were single, I swear I'd live on Lean Cuisines and sandwiches. (I'm married, and half the time-- I do live on those things. He pretends not to mind, but I know he does.)

So, I googled recipes for an hour-- all in the name of love. And I went to Pioneer Woman's fabulous site and scrolled through her food blog. I suddenly felt empowered and ready to go grocery shopping. I decided then and there that my man would not starve. I love him more than I hate cooking.

So, I am going to attempt to dabble in the art of cooking again and meal freezing. It'll be up in the air once Natalie makes an appearance, but I will try for this precious time between now and then.

Tomorrow's dinner will go to the tune of chicken and dumplings...I'm a little bit scared, but we shall see. . . and hopefully he won't gag!






Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Tips for helping you get 'into' cooking:

    1. Try to recreate your favorite restaurant meals at home. You already know you love it, and its cheaper than going out. There are tons of great knockoff recipe sites online. Just google "cracker barrel chicken tenderloin recipe" (a good one by the way). You know, whatever restaurant and name of the dish you are looking for.

    2. Start watching the food network. Watching them make the food is a lot easier than going at a recipe blindly. Plus, the food looks so mouthwatering on the screen that you'll be dying to try it. My favorite shows are Giada DeLaurentiis (authentic italian), and Sandra Lee. Sandra does semi-homemade meals, which use store bought foods, adding a few things. So its only half the work. She is a pro at cheap restaurant meals as well. :)

    3. Cook with Lydia! You're right, she's great! And its a given that Brandon likes her food. The best way to learn is hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embrace your crockpot! You're about to be the mother of a newborn and while I'm sure people will be bringing you meals for the first few weeks, it helps to know you can throw stuff in the pot and leave it for a few hours. My favorite website is the crockpot 365 blog. I have both of her cookbooks... fabulous recipes!

    I used to dislike cooking because I thought it was time consuming and a waste of my precious time... this was back in high school. Then I did community threatre and was eating out all the time and came to love and appreciate a home cooked meal.

    We save meals like black beans and rice for nights when we need something tasty and quick... mhmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing for proper nutrition when using a vegan cooking style is variety. This will help provide your body a full range of nutrients. Buy foods fortified with extra nutrients to make up exactly where the vegan diet lacks. Salads can be really beneficial to a vegan diet as dark leafy greens are rich in iron and calcium and could be topped with nuts, seeds and beans to add protein. For extra omega-3 fatty acids fatty fish, enriched eggs, walnuts, flaxseed and canola oil should be used frequently. learn more:

    Healthy cooking tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the idea of the crock pot! Even I can make crock pot meals, and I'm definitely NOT a cook!

    ReplyDelete