Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stubborn dog, cancelled plans

I've not had a good day. It's not made of the typical "bad day" sort of stuff. It's just been sort of "blah". I've started to experience Braxton Hicks contractions, and they are not fun at all! It's like a shooting stab of pain that comes out of nowhere and leaves you breathless. It's not dehabilitating, but I definitely have to stop and take a break every now and then. That, and I think morning sickness is rearing its ugly head for the third trimester.

Brandon and his dad have gone to Atlanta for a hockey game this weekend, so I was given the duty of walking our dog while he's away. I absolutely hate it! First off, the dog walks me, not vice-versa. And then he gets excited and jumps up on my belly! If all of that isn't enough, he also periodically attacks the neighbor's dogs. So embarrassing. And tonight, the little rascal didn't even try to go to the bathroom when I walked him. He's down in the basement now, and I don't look forward to the rancid mess that awaits me. It was enough to hurl me into a meltdown of sorts. "If I can't keep this dog from dragging me across the subdivision, how will I raise a child?!" I'm sure my screaming wasn't too attractive. The neighbor's dogs have collars and are technically not supposed to get on our lawn, but that didn't stop the sequence of events. . . and while she apologized, I felt like the idiot who shouldn't own a dog. I don't even like our dog half of the time. True story. I am a cat person. I feed and pet the dog because Brandon loves him, but I am not really bonded to him beyond that. I hate it because I want to enjoy the dog, but when push comes to shove, I just don't. He's a lot of work, and I don't feel like the pain is worth it half the time. I personally would like to be out a dog by the time the baby gets here, but that probably won't happen. That being said, I know it's my fault for bringing him home in the first place. In all honesty, if my father-in-law said he wanted him, I would gladly pack up his chew toys and ship him on his merry way. End rant.

I was supposed to meet my parents to go Christmas shopping tonight, but it's not going to happen. I was really looking forward to it, but after half an hour of begging the dog to poop and it not happening, I wasn't really feeling any Christmas cheer. Instead, I had angry tears streaming down my face and was really annoyed that I let our DOG ruin the evening. And then the hormones set in as I trudged upstairs. At one point, I was crying TO THE BABY that things we're going right and that I hoped I didn't screw her up like I evidently have screwed up the dog.

I think I'm going to call it an early night and go to bed. So exhausted, mentally and physically. I didn't know I could cry so much over a dog not pooping. I felt like a failure. Haha!

4 comments:

  1. That dog isn't going to get any tamer once baby arrives. You can't have him jumping and attacking, and knocking people over with a newborn at home. I think you need to find him another home, maybe only temporary, until there are no small children in the house. If Brandon really wants a dog, how about a small dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Trina. The dog may get tamer over time, but not a drastic change in the next 5 months. A lot of people give up their animals when a baby comes along, especially if the animals are not baby friendly or start causing trouble. Some animals can't stand to not have all your attention.

    You could always discuss a possible future home and see how it goes, but go with what you are comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know you had a dog! I KNOW that you're a cat person. I'm a dog person, but really only a dachshund one :)I agree with the two people above. See if you can find another home for this dog and then later on try to get another (smaller) dog when the baby is older! Don't stress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I sound so insane now that I go back and read this post again! Erin, we have a HUGE Saint Bernard/Border Collie mix named Brutus that I found on the side of the road in a box a couple of years ago. He really is a sweet dog, but we don't have enough time to give him the exercise he needs, so he's always extremely excited to see me when I do come outside and go near him. He's been better the past couple of days, I was just so mad and not feeling it the other night in the 20 degree weather. Brandon's dad desperately wants to take him, but we have to clear it with Brandon's mom. He's a gentle soul, just an exciteable one. lol :)

    ReplyDelete