Friday, December 10, 2010

wants/needs/gimme gimme

I feel like I can breathe now. We are out of the rental house completely! No more worries about knocking down cobwebs from obscure corners or patching up nail holes. No more carting load after load of boxes from the old house to the new one. We finally have ONE house now. We still have a ton of boxes to work with, but I'm definitely making some progress on the pile. It wasn't so daunting to pack all this junk up, but I hate having to think of where I'm going to put it now. Can I just say this house is bigger but that it does not have as much storage as I'm used to?

Anyhow, I was walking around and surveying things and was making a mental list of the stuff I would like for this house. This is definitely not going to be immediate gratification kind of stuff, yet a lot of it is not expensive at all, just small things. I guess I inherited my mother's aversion to dropping $50.00 or more each time I go to the store. And I cannot stand to even think about pulling out my credit card. Call me old fashioned, but thinking about going into debt makes me panic. I keep repeating the mantra that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

So, without further adieu, here's my list. You guys may snicker at this, but whatever. :)

New dish towels- Haha, I know this sounds awfully stupid, but we got some of the ugliest dish towels known to man when we got married. And while I'm not a snob when it comes to the dish towel, I don't want to have crazy mismatched ones when company comes over.
New towels- same thing. We couldn't make up our mind over which color scheme we wanted for the bathroom, so we registered for a gazillion towels and never returned the ones that did not match because a) we were lazy b) we started using them. We have burgundy, yellow, brown, green, taupe, white, blue, and pink towels. It is a visual trainwreck under my bathroom cabinet.
Welcome mats and area rugs- We aren't so far gone that we've never had a welcome mat. They just never survive around us. Enter one cold, blustery day or a flood, and we're out a door mat. I cannot count how many times our welcome mat ended up in the shrubbery. I eventually threw it away and forgot to replace it.
Area rugs- I don't want terribly expensive ones because we have cats, but it would be nice to have an extra splash of color to the room and something soft for Natalie to crawl on when she gets old enough. Hardwoods are especially cold in the winter, and an area rug would warm the room nicely.
Black or dark brown picture frames with white or off-white mattes- I want to do something Ikea-esque up our staircase, on the wall above our couch, and on the wall above the desk in the "library". I have found some cheapy frames at Wal-Mart for $3.00 a pop, so this dream is not in the far distant future. It's just a matter of buying said frames and filling them up with pictures.
A custom frame for Brandon's uncle's painting- Brandon's uncle was a street vendor in Ukraine who created some awesome paintings. Brandon took it upon himself to try and staple the canvas to some plywood. It was a two-man job, and he did it by himself. Consequently, it's uneven and loose on the wood. I am not a fan. I do not hide this. I am not a block canvas sort of person. I like the dimension that frames add to art.
New bedding for master and guestroom- I have had the same discount Ross comforter for 3 years. It was $12.99 and was part of a collection from Kohl's. I dressed up the plain bedding with pillows. I love it, but we have a very deep mattress and it doesn't quite make the cut. We have a queen size bed, but we need king size bedding. We found a Pottery Barn set that we loved in July and waited for it to go on clearance. By the time it was marked down, we lost out! It's now listed on Ebay for $100 more than Pottery Barn was asking for it. Um, no thanks. I think I can sleep on my discount bedding for a little bit longer.

The guest room? Well, anything would be nice. I've never had a plan for that room.

Shelf for the laundry closet- I need a shelf for my detergent! I'm tired of shifting bleach and detergent from the top of the washer to the top of the dryer. I also need a place to put extra (ugly) towels and linens. ( No linen closet!!)
Closet organization thingies- shoe racks, purse racks, random rubbermaid things.
Cat doors-I want the cats to go potty down in the basement so I can assemble my guestroom. No one wants to smell that.

Nursery- I want to have my nursery cleared out so I can start imagining where Natalie's furniture is going to go.

Okay, I'm sure there's a lot more... just dreaming! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment