Thursday, August 26, 2010

Confession: Moments When I'm Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop

Not to get all emo on you guys because I detest the term, but I seriously have moments
where I am rocked by fear concerning this pregnancy.
I hear this is typical after a pregnancy loss.
Don't get me wrong. More often than not, I'm ecstatic that I'm carrying a life inside of me.
But. . . I have dark moments and intense fears and panic sessions where I'm convinced that it's only a matter of days until I find out that something is terribly wrong. And that it's going to be termed "chromosomal abnormality" or "incompatible with life".
You would think that the detection of a baby and a healthy heartbeat would whisk away the fear of loss, but I saw a heartbeat last time. That was a living baby inside of me in April. That was my child. Sometimes I can deny what I feel about it; sometimes I cannot.
And while that was a natural miscarriage and I was aware of it, there are so many women who go through undetected miscarriages. These women see a healthy heartbeat one week and then when they go into their next appointment a month later, the baby has ceased to grow. This is called a fetal demise. I can't imagine how that feels, to have no outward signs that something's gone wrong. I still cling to my symptoms like a security blanket. Believe me, I get weepy really quickly if I'm not feeling anything over than crappy.
I have reasons to believe that this will be a healthy pregnancy that results in a living, healthy baby. I have fears that paralyze me and tell me that I should never believe that I can mother a healthy baby. It could have to do with my sister, I don't know.
Anyhow, I guess, for now, I should celebrate that I am 9w3d pregnant.
So, to this baby, I say. . . hang in there!! :)

2 comments:

  1. My sister that visited is just as far along as you are, and just barely starting to feel better most days. Luckily, if she eats she doesn't feel as sick so we got to EAT EAT EAT ;) She had a miscarriage a few months back, so although she's nervous too, she also knows the flip side: being anxious and worrying about it non-stop won't prevent anything from going wrong.

    Hang in there - I'll be praying for you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes - STOP READING THOSE MESSAGE BOARDS!!

    I had placenta previa with my last one and googled it after getting the news....YIKES!

    ReplyDelete