Sunday, May 2, 2010

Guest room/craft room/nursery in the making

Well, this really isn't what I would call impressive by any stretch of the imagination, but I was able to accomplish it in a few hours with no hassles, so it'll do for now.  I don't think it's going to be a permanent set up because I still want to paint a lot of stuff and move it around.  With the excessive rain, there wasn't really a possibility of me trying to get ou
t in the elements and buy paint and accessories. 

 Anyhow, at least I'll have a space to create. It'll be better than dragging everything out to the kitchen table. And the colors make me smile. 

I'm sorry for the blurry photos. I took the pictures on my phone. I am one of the few in the world without internet on my phone or a great camera, so this will simply have to do. '

Hope you can tell from the pictures that it's an improvement! :) 

Before: 
Messy, uninspired, cluttered. 



After: 

 I moved the bookshelf from the hallway into this room. On the top shelf is a picture of Brandon and I from my 23rd birthday. Those three buckets are from the dollar section in Target, and right now they're holding the only pieces of fabric I own! I bought fabric quarters to make no-sew rosettes. Hopefully, when I learn how to sew and get a sewing machine, my collection will grow.  That would be good, right? 

The second shelf is all Jane Austen or Pride and Prejudice variations, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, and Management for Dummies. 

The third shelf is the Twilight series and bibles. 

The fourth shelf is sheet music that I can't bear to throw out, even though you can't see it. Trust me, not that interesting. Arias for the soprano voice, showtunes. Collecting dust, but it's a part of me I don't want to part with. 

Oh, and there's the sign I made last night. I didn't have anymore of the dark scrapbook paper to correct my misjudgment, so I scribbled on that sign with a sharpie. Bad move. 

Well, here's the bed. Ignore the pillows. I'm going to recover them soon. And ignore the comforter. I really don't like it too much, but it was on sale at Target and I needed something to throw on the bed if we ever have overnight guests. The lamp is from IKEA and looks like every other IKEA lamp. I want to do some sort of window mistreatment, but I don't know where to begin. Anyhow, the point of this is that it looks MUCH better than it did, so no worries. :) The stuffed bear is the lone stuffed animal left from our dating relationship. I think it was the first thing that Brandon ever gave me. It says "Someone at Belmont University Loves You!" Yeah, I think that was the way he told me he loved me. . . I wish I could remember these things. 

I am giggling because this looks like such a teen girl's room. I guess it's the sherbet green and my lack of funds? 






\
I like to call this look " throwing everything on the desk to get it off the floor". Not really inspired, but at least a little more ordered. That gold frame isn't actually part of the mirror. The mirror is an old wooden one that's scuffed as all get out and needs painting, so I put the gold frame in front of it to hide the damage. I'm going to do something cuter on that wall, but I haven't blogstalked enough to get ideas.  Beneath the desk are my cans of spray paint and some candles. The little side table was bought at HomeGoods a few years ago and was originally the color green that's on the drawer. I decided to buy the Country Living distressing paint that Kimba at a Soft Place to Land was advertising last year and distress the snot out of it, but I never finished. I was undecided. . . so there it is, needing to be freshly painted. On the chair in the corner sits my barely used cricut. 

The calendar on the wall is for 2007 and was made with our wedding photographs as part of our package. 



So, here's a closer view of what's going on atop the desk. The lamp with the cherry blossoms is from IKEA. Brandon picked it up on business in Atlanta. It's made where you can shove anything into the base to prettify it. We had it in the den, but I stole it for my girly room. The vase is just filled up with Dollar Tree pink and green Christmas ornaments. I'll stick some flowers in one day to finish it, but I like the colors. The Starry Night print is from the Jersey Shore.  I've had it for five or six years and have never hanged it. The clear glass ornament is filled with strips of Sense and Sensibility. :) 

Hope you like my diddly little makeover. 

It was a good thing to do on this long, boring rainy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment